http://blog.livedoor.jp/valletta/

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

                                                   unskilled at  love

                                     We were cutting out the O
                                      from the word 'love'
                                       when my dad handed me the scissors

                                       head bent, he left no footprints
                                       on the snow as
                                       my unskilled hands
                                       spelled  the rest of the word
                                       in such grotesque figures
                                       that only Cyclops could read.
                                     
                                       I had only childish exclamations
                                       or the mess I made with love
                                       dressed in the white silk dress
                                       my dad bought and sent
                                      so he could scrub his blackened heart clean
                                       in the Alaskan mines.

                                       The unfinished word
                                       carved on my skin
                                       branded on my lips
                                       like hot coals
                                   
                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment